Thursday, February 9, 2012

Green Onion & Spaghetti Squash

Food Food Food. This will be my new segment on this blog when it's relevant.

I have an interesting and sustainable tip I just learned about. If you use green onions or chives, instead of tossing the white bulb part into your compost trash, you can place it in a jar of water and it will grow new shoots of green onion again! How resourceful is that?

Last week after cutting up green onion, I put 3 of the discard bulbs in a jar of water and set on the kitchen windowsill. A day or two later it was already growing. They are a few inches now and you can cut and use them and keep re-growing it in water until it stops growing apparently. Isn't that cool? (I will add a picture of ours.)













A little more info here: http://www.ehow.com/how_5104871_grow-onions-chives-discarded-roots.html

p.s. I've rediscovered spaghetti squash and it's a great substitute for pasta. You slice the squash in half, spoon out the seeds, bake it face down at 350 for approx. 45 minutes and then with a fork sort of comb out the squash in spaghetti strands. I topped it with Italian spaghetti sauce and a couple of turkey meatballs. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment