Saturday, July 14, 2012

The old exterior-siding-in-the-middle-of-the-house trick

Well, I knew I was going to have my mind and hands full with this problem.

The entry way between the living room and kitchen was ugly and unusually thicker than the other entry ways in the house.  I knew that it was because a past owner had nailed gypsum to redwood siding that marked where the first, original exterior of the house existed. When the house was first built, it was maybe 800 sqft and had an outdoor deck where the kitchen now sits.

So I just HAD to take off this ugly painted over drywall and see what we could do. Once the exterior siding was exposed, I had to make a choice.  Take it all out and replace with drywall or remove all the old paint, sand it and bring out the redwood.


Take it all out meant some real painstaking work that I was in no mood to do. Removing the paint and sanding was another thing I was in no mood to do.  So after thinking about it for DAYS...I decided we would leave the siding in there, remove the paint and paint over with a fresh coat of paint.

My reason for the decision was this:  The wood was in good shape and it added structural support by acting as a shear wall and leaving it seemed the least problematic to me.

So I cleaned it up and let Andrea pic the paint. She choose 'Renoir Bisque' and it was an excellent choice.  Took about a few days to do and about 2 weeks just thinking about what we were going to do.

How do you like the result?

2 comments:

  1. You made a good decision! It looks as good as new! Wood that is of good quality can last for a really long time if well taken care of.


    Kylee Groves

    ReplyDelete