Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hello Dolly!


Being an artist and filmmaker, it's easy for me to envision something in my head. I always thought everyone had that ability to think creatively and see a 'picture' in their head of something they want to make. Time and experience has shown that this is not true for most folks which is why one would find all sorts of catastrophic art, designs and builds simply because people couldn't see their final creations. Add to that the difficulty in communicating to others what you 'see' and you get a picture...a picture of problems.

Fortunately, creativity is in my family DNA. Picturing something is easy for us but many times it is better and smarter to actually build a model of what you want to create because you could overlook something in the final design. I use the HGTV Home and Garden Design program that lets you easily build a 3D model of any home, build and move walls, paint, add plumbing...anything that you could do to a real house without actually doing it just yet. In this demo clip, you can see the way I use this program and other programs like Photoshop to help me figure out exactly what I want to do to the house.

Now my sister Sylvia takes an old-school approach by using a Victorian Doll House to mix and match wallpaper, area rugs and furniture.



Whatever your approach to renovating or designing your home, it's a great relief to work out your idea in either of these ways as they will eliminate problems later and you can share them with others to get vital feedback. We actually liked my sister's very Victorian take on the parlor and will use it as a guide as we continue to remodel.

No comments:

Post a Comment